Porta Castello

Built around 1563 as part of the extension of the Vatican Walls ordered by Pope Pius IV (1559–1565), Porta Castello was the first gate to be opened in the new Medici circuit, next to the esplanade of the fortress of Castel Sant’Angelo.

The gate was completed in 1565, as shown by a payment made to the Florentine stonemason Paolo Pianetto for the architectural embellishment.

The original gate, which no longer exists, was situated where the current Via di Porta Castello and Via Vitelleschi now lie. In 1883, the city council decided to demolish it due to the new urban planning needs of the Piazza d’Armi area.

The same name is now used for the two archways on the Passetto. The first one was built by Pius IV to provide access to the Borghi, while the second one dates to the 1930s.

The gate, which had a markedly military style, consisted of a single aperture with an ashlar architrave. The pilasters were decorated at the top with two Medici balls, the papal coat of arms and dedicatory inscriptions.

GDPR Cookie Consent with Real Cookie Banner Skip to content