Stone restoration plaque 1752

Located in this spot is a stone plaque commemorating the 1752 restoration work financed by Pope Clement XIV between Porta San Lorenzo (or Tiburtina) and Porta Pia, which cost 3357 scudi. Clement XIV was one of the modern popes who was most involved in maintaining the city walls; the restoration work he had carried out used the so-called “tegolozza”, reused fragments of ancient tiles and bricks.

During the restoration, all the windows and embrasures in the walls were closed to prevent the passage of duty-free goods.

The epigraph commemorates the Conservators and Prior of the Caporioni of that year, Roman magistrates in charge of, among other things, the maintenance of the walls.

GDPR Cookie Consent with Real Cookie Banner Skip to content